Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 01 Oct 2003 9:01 pm, yankl wrote:

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 03:10 pm, Margot wrote:

yankl wrote:

I assume you have run lspci or lspcidrak and see just one
device in it. If you see tow then you still need to go to BIOS
and play with settings before you can reinstall your system.

Yankl,

I'd never heard of lspci or lspcidrak until you just mentioned
them - here are the results:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266
AGP] 00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live!
EMU10k1 (rev 04) 00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs
SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 01)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA
Bridge 00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master
IDE (rev 06) 00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB
(rev 1b) 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8751 [ProSavageDDR
P4M266] VGA Controller
[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$ lspcidrak
bash: lspcidrak: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$

(Tried it as root as well, but still got "command not found")

I had another look in BIOS and can't find any other settings to
play with that obviously relate to sound. There are some I'm not
sure about though, because I don't fully understand what they
are:

Under PCI Plug and Play Setup - Plug and Play Aware O/S - should
this be Yes or No?

Also, options to change all settings to "Optimal" or "Best
Performance" - I opted not to on both these, because it didn't
say what it was going to do!

Margot

lspcidrake. I have a problem some time remember the commands name endings because I use tab too much. From what I remember lspci outputs the /proc/bus/pci/devices. It is shown two cards on your mother board; are you sure that you do not have two cards one on board and one in the pci slot?

If you 200% sure that you have one sound card and have not install
any new hardware in lets do #lspcidrake -v -f and post it. We are
interesting in vendor and device number. I am guessing some other
hardware reports it self as audio controller.

Remember that she said she had two lots of holes for the jacks. Of course, one set could be for a modem.

Anne

I think I sorted that bit out, with help from Bryan - the second hole, when I studied it more carefully with a torch, turned out to be blue and not green! I'll have to get better lighting at floor level!

Margot