Charlie M. wrote:

October 1, 2003 01:10 pm, Margot wrote:

yankl wrote:

I assume you have run lspci or lspcidrak and see just one device in it.
If you see tow then you still need to go to BIOS and play with settings
before you can reinstall your system.

Yankl,

I'd never heard of lspci or lspcidrak until you just mentioned them -
here are the results:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
04) 00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 01)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1b)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 30)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8751 [ProSavageDDR P4M266]
VGA Controller
[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$ lspcidrak
bash: lspcidrak: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$

(Tried it as root as well, but still got "command not found")

I had another look in BIOS and can't find any other settings to play
with that obviously relate to sound. There are some I'm not sure about
though, because I don't fully understand what they are:

Under PCI Plug and Play Setup - Plug and Play Aware O/S - should this be
Yes or No?

Also, options to change all settings to "Optimal" or "Best Performance"
- I opted not to on both these, because it didn't say what it was going
to do!

Margot

Margot the statement above regarding never having heard of lspcidrake was not entirely accurate. You actually posted a response to my message detailing what one could expect to be found in the draksound troubleshooting dialogue. Of course having too many 'suggestions' from such busybodies as myself it's easy to be confused. After this response I'll go back to "lurk" mode. (-;

Aha! Yankl asked about "lspcidrak", which is what I did, and got "command not found". You asked about "lspcidrake", with an "e" at the end. I didn't recognise one as being a typo!

- From what I just saw on the list archive I use

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-newbie&r=1&w=2

it would seem that sympa is playing "Hide the post" again. <sigh>

All of these commands need to be run as super user or root. If one of the commands suggested doesn't appear to have an entry in the system you're working with don't panic. Syntax and spelling, as well as any required capitalizations, are extremely important in any 'nix system.

Just for grins'n'giggles (and as an illustration of how to prevent hair loss <g>) open a terminal as super user or root and type:

dra <Tab>

by which I mean hit the Tab key. That's the bash auto-completion function. It may actually help you in some situations.

Thanks Charlie - I got a list of words - presumably commands? - starting with "drak". The <Tab> tip is a useful thing to know.

Can I assume that it will always be "drak" if at the beginning, but "drake" if at the end? Or is it irregular, like English spelling? <g>