On Wednesday 01 October 2003 03:57 pm, Chris Blake wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Just an OT question since I been using MDK for the last 9 months and am
> frustrated that I still have to install Windows for my clients.
>
> Why does Linux install everything in one go, with minimal input required
> by user, and windows reboots every .5 seconds whenever something is
> detected.
>
> As an example, I am currently installing Win2K and Win98 on 7 machines,
> first you install the OS that requires around 10 reboots, then once you
> done that you then have to install motherboard drivers and things which
> requires another million reboots before you can actually say
> "Well, now its over, I can actually use the fscking thing now !!!!"
>
> Why ?

Chris:
In spite of all of the FUD that you've read on ZDNet and that ilk, installing
Linux is a pretty simple thing to do. But then you knew that.

You left out the fact that when your Linux installation is done, you've pretty
much got everything you need -- a choice of browsers, several office suites,
games, utilities until hell won't have it, servers, compilers. With luck,
even your network and web access are working. It usually takes me about an
hour to install a new Mandrake version to the point where I can access the
web.

However, once you finally get Windows up and running, you have none of the
above other than the notorious Explorer malware transport system. First,
you'll need a virus scanner and a firewall, then you'll have to get all of
the MS updates, updates to the updates, updates to the updated updates --
each of which involves yet another reboot. Repeat for hardware drivers, with
the added joy that you'll have to seek out each manufacturer's site and
negotiate through yet another maze of menus. OK, bubba, now you can load your
applications. Again, you'll have to get the latest updates. Yup -- more
surfing, more reboots. Whoopee!

And now you know why I haven't gotten the nerve to try to resuscitate my old
Win98SE installation since I rebuilt my system four months ago. I don't need
no aggravation.
-- cmg