Paul wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:14, John Richard Smith wrote:

Every so often mozilla ask me to "compact folders" which of course I do.
Why ?

I mean if you have deleted your messages are they not dead there and
then, why the need to seemingly finally delete them ?

It is because Mozilla uses a kind of Mbox format where all mails are in
one big file. When you delete a message, it is somehow marked as
deleted. Compacting the folder will reorganise (copy and rewrite) the
file and physically remove the deleted mail(s) from it.

I have seen this happen while playing around with Firebird, their
standalone mailprogram. (Which I still don't use because I can't get it
to read local mailspools.)

Is there a utility that changes from this Mbox to other non-Mbox?

ayoub890