I forward to this list , for members perusal, a copy of an email I have
just sent to all my local East Midlands UK MEP's (Member of the European
Parliament) concering the patenting of software code. I will let you
know what if any reply I get.

John

LATER ======

Maybe it's too much for me to understand but here at this address ,

http://www.jeanmonnetprogram.org/papers/96/9608ftns.html

I found a summary of the situation.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message --- Many people on the Internet are expressing concerns about the way that the European Commission is introducing new laws to assist in the Patenting of Software Code.

It is being suggested by many very concerned people that allowing the patenting of Software code is like allowing an author to patent their own book, when of course an author owns the copy right to that book, but cannot patent something that is not a novel invention. If someone invents a novel device it can be patented, if someone creates a work of liturature they may own that piece of liturature, but one may not patent it. Software code is said to be a similar situation. So that allowing software code to be patented is akin to allowing the patenting of a language which would be absurd, would you not agree.

What is the current situation?
Is this concern being addressed ?

John

--