On Tuesday 07 Oct 2003 6:05 am, Stormjumper wrote:
> referring to Derek's post on 27 Sep 2003, regarding exploits, i
> attempted to follow advice on putting an email address and clicking
> the check box for Security Alerts in Mandrake Control Center ->
> Security -> Basic
>
> however, the check box option reverts to unchecked (unticked) and the
> Security Administrator reverts to "default" the next time i enter the
> MCC -> Security Panel.
>
> is there any reason for this, or any way to work around the
> non-registering settings?
>
> or can i enter the values manually in a config file somewhere instead?
> i looked inside /etc/security and /etc/security/msec, but couldn't
> identify the corresponding config file. can someone direct me as to
> what values to enter in which file?
>
> btw, i'm running 9.1.
>
> thanks

I don't know why your settings are not sticking, but you can edit the
/etc/security/msec/security.conf file directly
insert the line MAIL_USER=

Also to get mails about failed cron jobs edit /etc/crontab and insert
MAILTO=

Don't forget for the mails to be sent you need a mail server such as postfix
to be running. If you do not have a mail server then install ssmtp RPM and
edit the mailhub parameter in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf to send mails to your ISP

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net