----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 18:00
Subject: Re: [newbie] mcc - security: options dun stick

> On Tuesday 07 Oct 2003 6:05 am, Stormjumper wrote:
> > referring to Derek's post on 27 Sep 2003, regarding exploits, i
> > attempted to follow advice on putting an email address and clicking
> > the check box for Security Alerts in Mandrake Control Center ->
> > Security -> Basic
> >
> > however, the check box option reverts to unchecked (unticked) and the
> > Security Administrator reverts to "default" the next time i enter the
> > MCC -> Security Panel.
> >
> > is there any reason for this, or any way to work around the
> > non-registering settings?
> >
> > or can i enter the values manually in a config file somewhere instead?
> > i looked inside /etc/security and /etc/security/msec, but couldn't
> > identify the corresponding config file. can someone direct me as to
> > what values to enter in which file?
> >
> > btw, i'm running 9.1.
> >
> > thanks
>
> I don't know why your settings are not sticking, but you can edit the
> /etc/security/msec/security.conf file directly
> insert the line MAIL_USER=
>
> Also to get mails about failed cron jobs edit /etc/crontab and insert
> MAILTO=
>
> Don't forget for the mails to be sent you need a mail server such as
postfix
> to be running. If you do not have a mail server then install ssmtp RPM and
> edit the mailhub parameter in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf to send mails to your
ISP

thanks derek.

i did as instructed, and inserted the MAIL_USER= line in
/etc/security/msec/security.conf.

now if i return to mcc, it shows the correct email address, but the check
box for Security Alerts in Mandrake Control Center -> Security -> Basic is
still unchecked.

i believe i need another parameter to activate that option.

strangely, security.conf is a totally empty file before i editted it.

alternatively, can someone (preferably running at standard security level)
attach a their security.conf file for reference?

or direct me to a web resource that contains descriptions of wat parameters
do what in security.conf? i've checked 'man msec', which directed me to
/usr/share/doc/msec-???/security.txt, but that only provided a description
of what the various security levels meant.

thanks.