Tango Echo wrote:

Hi all,

Was browsing digitalblasphemy earlier... I've seen
references before but never actually entered the site.
The artist claims he uses Lightwave 3D and World
Builder for some projects.  Ok, that's $3,000 I don't
have right now.  Does any know of a similar product
for Linux? A high quality 3d modeling program?  I've
heard of blender, but haven't really checked it out...

don't be misslead ... Blender is a very complex & powerfull tool ... you wouldn't believe how powerfull. I wouldn't believe it either at first ... I thought it was just this free programm ... but as you learn more you'll be quite shocked. Really. I remember a discussion on the Blender mailing list about how people seem to take free stuff as not-so-good software ... while (at least in the case of blender) .. it is sooooo great ... that if you packaged it seriously, not everything in one pack .. but separate stuff for say scripts, a tutorial cd & all .. you could truthfully sell it for a high (and honest) value. Give it a serious try ... seriously ... when you've used all the tools it has once ... I'm quite sure you'll realize how strong it is (I know I NEVER knew of a lot of stuff it could do until I had done quite a lot of tutorials ... then also I remember one in which the author was saying exactly something like this ... something like the only animation tools on the topic of the tutorial that he knew were done as good as blender were in Maya and Softimage who got it right).
in short ... Blender is worth a lot of dough ... and yet it's for free .. it's only weak spot that is worth noting were the radiosity rendering that was lacking .. but that is being patched right now from like 3 direction (export to povray, export to yafray (raytracer made especially for blender or something like that, and next version of blender) .... oh, and one more thing ... a lot of Blender artists find it usefull to couple the power of Blender with the modelling ease of Wings3d