I am not sure if our problems are one and the same but I had this problem on
my laptop.  Occasionally, the system will lock the keyboard and the mouse and
I had to switch it off and on to continue...but a quick look at the clock
showed that the system is still running.

I was desperate and wrote a script that will reboot the machine if it cannot
find a certain file in the /tmp directory.  every now and then it checks the
directory and removes it if it is present and checks back after an
interval...which means every now and then i have to touch the file in the
directory...i know it seems stupid but at least the machine can shutdown
cleanly without me having to sit through an fsck whenever this happens....
The wierd thing is that since i implemented this script the problem has been
so infrequent that is has almost (touch wood) disappeared!

I cannot explain this X-filish phenomenon but this is just my 2 cents...

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 05:57:39AM +0000, pete moss wrote:
> i know, i have mentioned this before, but i am still having problems.
> anytime i open a terminal (xterm, gnome-terminal, etc.) from within X,
> the computer completely locks up and i have to hit reset.  if i start
> the terminal from a virtual terminal (alt+F2) then it runs fine.  i am
> running mandrake 6.1.  i didnt have this problem with 6.0.  i have
> reinstalled several packages that seem to be affected, but no luck.  it
> seems like there is a software problem outside of the affected programs
> that might be causing this.  anyone know how i can track down this
> problem?  it is hindering some of my work in linux.  please pass the
> slightest bit of info!
>
> thanks!
>
> :P
>

> ps - is there a quick way to reinstall all of the currently installed
> packages from the cdrom?  i would like to avoid redoing a fresh install.

E-Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ No.: 38756924