Well I am about to shoot myself, again!  Finally made the decision to
go broadband, having been advised on this list that there would be no
difficulty with a Linux system.  Contacted Telewest BlueYonder, and
the technician turned up today, and found he could not install the
modem because there is no Windows machine in the house.  He could not
install the hardware and leave it without it being configured and
presumably talking to base.  All he would do is load a CD into
Windows, if it were available, and let it run.  His supervisor gave
him some story about having to run the Windows setup before the modem
could be used.  I am so completely ignorant about networking that I
could not even begin to suggest how we might go about experimenting
with it to try and get the modem recognised and the connection
working.  All I could give the poor lad was the MAC address of eth0
and all he knew was that the connection needed to be configured under
DHCP.

Can anybody tell me just what information would be required for a
simple standalone setup?  And is it true that the cable modem can only
be initialized by proprietary software?

I have perused various HOWTOs without seeing exactly what kind of
information is needed.  IP addresses of course.  Presumably I could
badger Telewest to give me those in written form, but what else?  The
dialup connection was simple to configure because Demon provided all
the relevant parameters.
--
Len Lawrence
Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip