On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:49:33 +0100
Len Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Can anybody tell me just what information would be required for a
> simple standalone setup?  And is it true that the cable modem can only
> be initialized by proprietary software?

What type of modem is it? If it is simply an ethernet connection, then
the only software you will need is probably included in Mandrake, ie.
something like KPPPoE, maybe not even that if they are using a direct
connection without PPPoE. In that case you just plug it in and it gets
an IP from the ISP's DHCP server.

If it's a USB modem, the story might be a lot different, maybe not,
depends on the modem.

I would definitely complain like hell that they were not even willing to
*attempt* to help you.

Also, contact your local LUG and see if there are any other customers of
this provider who can give more specific info.

--
HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046