On Wednesday 15 October 2003 15:00, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 05:49 am, Len Lawrence wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me just what information would be required for a
> > simple standalone setup?  And is it true that the cable modem can only
> > be initialized by proprietary software?
>
> I went thru something like this when I hooked up with Charter. I simply
> told the tech that I was willing to sign to the effect that I took all
> responsibility for getting the Ambit modem working with my setup. He called
> his supervisor and that was good enough for them.
>
> > I have perused various HOWTOs without seeing exactly what kind of
> > information is needed.  IP addresses of course.  Presumably I could
> > badger Telewest to give me those in written form, but what else?  The
> > dialup connection was simple to configure because Demon provided all
> > the relevant parameters.
>
> Hmm, once they "provisioned" my cable modem, all it took was a simple (as
> root):
>
> ifdown eth0
>
> then
>
> ifup eth0
>
> and it acquired everything that was needed.
>
> I'm assuming that "service network restart" would do the same thing.
>
> Keep us informed as to how it goes! :-)
>
> PS This link may help some:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/
Happened likewise here.

There was sheer panic in the eyes of the guy who came to install when he saw
it was Linux;)
Gave him a cup of coffee, said "watch me do it, and yell whoa if you think
I'll break something."
He was stunned that I had it up and running before he'd even had a chance to
sip his coffee.

Good luck,
HarM
--