Todd Slater wrote:
This has been discussed here before, but I came up with a new (to me)
twist.

Hijacking a thread is when a list member wants to start a new thread,
but instead of making a new mail, s/he reads a newbie mail and hits
reply, erases the subject line and writes a new subject.

This has always annoyed me since I like my MUA to display list mail in
threads. But a real danger for folks who hijack is that their posts
might get ignored or deleted. (I always delete hijacked posts on general
principles.) Currently I use my mail's "delete thread" function to delete
topics that don't concern me. If a lister hijacks one of those threads,
then they are decreasing the number of eyes that might read that mail and
amount of brains that might answer a question. That's because that mail
gets counted as part of the thread, even though it's a totally different
topic.

Just a thought.

Todd

I subscribe to a lot of mailing lists, and many of them post a regular reminder of "list netiquette", politely requesting no hijacking, top-posting, HTML or attachments, and briefly giving the reasons why these things are frowned upon.

I don't have the technical skills to do this myself, but would someone here be able to compose a suitable message and automatically post it to the list - weekly maybe?

Most newbies tend to lurk for a few days before posting, so most of them would see the message before making their first post to the list, and so would be able to avoid making embarrassing mistakes!

Margot