Wondering if anyone has run into this, I put a brand new (cheap $19.95 US)  LG
CDROM in the computer, a Gigabyte MB with Athlon 2000 cpu and DDR ram, and as
soon as Mandrake harddrake detects it the drive light goes steady on and the
drive will not work.  At next boot up no light and no response the drive is
dead.  Took it back for exchange three times and same results. So I stick the
old 24X sony  CDROM back in and it works fine.  I have no idea what is going
on.  The power supply is rock solid.  Could there be a mobo problem?  Any
ideas?
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842