El mié, 22-10-2003 a las 18:29, HaywireMac escribió:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:05:37 -0500
> Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>

> >   It's kernel issue, not just Mandrake's. Any distro usin 2.4.22
> > could mess up junk hardware.  Go to kernel.org and look for the
> > various hardware blacklists.  Or don't buy junk to run Linux on.
>
> So all the people who have lost valuable hardware are just idiots who
> shouldn't have bought "junk" to run Linux on.
>
> Nice attitude, Tom, thanks for the input.

Let's get the ugly out of the way first: I do not
like the way you post. You disagree with Tom,
(and I do, too) but... well.. never mind. You
already know what i'm going to say.

Now, about the "junk" part... When 9.0 was
released, it came out with a version of
supermount that didn't work on certain
drives. Sometimes you would go into
/mnt/cdrom, do a `ls` and see all the
files... and when you tried to actually use
any of then, you were told that the file
didn exist... nice one.

It turned up that this bug affected low
quality drives mostly. So, the attitude
around the cooker and expert list
was pretty much the same as Tom's.
"Your fault, you shouldn't buy
crappy hardware to begin with ", completely
ignoring the fact that these drives worked
PERFECTLY on 8.2 and prior. (and worked
perfectly also if you used any other kernel...)

On cooker list, every single release cycle
since i'm lurking on it, i see a thread starting
about a month before scheduled release
date. In this thread someone pleads for more
testing/time and to kick the release date
a little further into the future. The answer
to those posters is always the same:
"Bah, that was said also in the last cycle,
and it went OK, so we don't need another
beta. We don't need more time"

..... every single time, i stay quiet and
say nothing.. because i know my opinion
doesn't matter to them. Every single
time i agree with the guy saying they
need more time. This kind of sh*t proves
them (and me) right. 6 months release cycle?
Yeah, right. Then beta testing should start
one month after a stable release. We will
keep seeing Big Bugs(tm) until something
is done about that impossible release rythm.

Damian