On Wednesday 22 October 2003 09:14 am, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 October 2003 08:29 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > Wondering if anyone has run into this, I put a brand new (cheap $19.95
> > US) LG CDROM in the computer, a Gigabyte MB with Athlon 2000 cpu and DDR
> > ram, and as soon as Mandrake harddrake detects it the drive light goes
> > steady on and the drive will not work.  At next boot up no light and no
> > response the drive is dead.  Took it back for exchange three times and
> > same results. So I stick the old 24X sony  CDROM back in and it works
> > fine.  I have no idea what is going on.  The power supply is rock solid.
> > Could there be a mobo problem?  Any ideas?
>
> Dennis:
> There have been some reports on the club Forums about 9.2 killing LG drives
> and there is also some discussion at cooker. Take a look at the second
> posting here:
> http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Splatt_Forum&file=v
>iewtopic&topic=12989&forum=10 -- cmg
Thanks, Carroll, it appears that the bottom line is I have fried $40 worth of
drives, my cost, and $60 worth of the dealers drives because of a nasty bug
in 9.2. Some of the talk is about running 700mb cds in the drive but it only
specs for 650mb. I don't think that is the problem because I installed 9.1 on
these drives and they were 700mb. Anyway, I am watching to see what drives
actually will work and not get fried. Thanks for the info. Makes me feel not
so stupid.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842