In regards to the CD glitch you had:

>>hdd: ATAPI reset complete
>>      ATAPI device hdd:
>>        Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
>>        Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred
>>--
>> (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
>>      hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 {
>>DriveReady
>> SeekComplete Error }
>>      hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
>>      ide0: reset: success

I got that error when I used an unsuccessfully burned
copy of Mandrake (Adaptec choked on the CD-R during
the table of contents writing phase, I've since been
thru 3 CD-R's in trying to copy).  So you might wanna
check the CD surface for any kind of scratches or
particles...

Just a thought..

`Kumba

=====