On Wednesday 22 October 2003 06:44 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >     How 'bout booting the 1st CD and choosing 'upgrade'? Not
> > sure I under stand your problem. Is the system unbootable?  If
> > it's bootable you can 'urpmi diskdrake' or use rpmdrake to
> > install it. If it not, then you'll probly have to choose
> > 'install' and fix your partitions.
>
> I want to run diskdrake from memory not from an OS.
> That's one of the problems with diskdrake you only have two
> choices , run it from either an OS or an Upgrade, the first is
> not what I want and the second long winded. I want to install a
> kernel in memory and install diskdrake to do partitioning and
> formatting and then exit. A similar example is gento with
> partimage. I just wondered whether the Mandrake CD1 could do the
> same as the disk does have drakxtools-newt on it and since it
> willcreate a kernel and install it in memory , isn't there some
> way of getting diskdrake as well ?
>

> John

    Ok, if I understand what you want .... booting the first CD an
choosing install should do it.  You're runnin from the CD, and it's
runnin entirely in ram, not your HDD.   BUT, if your gonna do
"partitioning and formatting and then exit", you can do that with
diskdrake in a running system from HDD. Just not on the partitions
your system is on.

   Maybe I'd (we'd) understand better if you mentioned Mandrake
version, as just what's heck you wanna accomplish