On Thursday 23 October 2003 12:45 pm, Martin L. Johansen wrote:
> > > Does that mean I'm actually better off using less than 1Gig
> > > of RAM ?
> >
> >     Yes. 99% of users don't even need 512MB
>
> But (just to clarify things), does it perform better with 512
> than 1024 ? Or does a person just not need that much?

   Not for a desktop. Only servers handling web services and lot'sa
lot'sa users, or a sound/video studio. So unless you're Walt Disney
or Dream Works, 512MB is overkill.  'Course if you've got more ram,
Linux will try an use it all, and maybe still bump into /swap ....
but the memory management scheme in kernels that can address over
860MB of ram, also slow things down. I've heard about 7%, I believe
in the few days I've used an enterprise kernel, it's even more than
that .... for normal desktop use.