On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:14:44 +0100
Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> 6/ Run the command
> smbpasswd -a user_name
> as root for each user of the Linux computer who needs to view their
> files over samba.
> user_name must be a valid user name in both Linux *and* Windows
> environments. The password it prompts you for is the password in the
> **Windows** environment. (It does not have to be the same as the Linux
> password)

I have found that using Webmin, the password can be set without running
that command. Webmin is what got my Samba network going lickety-split,
no hassles at all, though the advice above is very important, esp the
part about having the same workgroup/domain name amongst all machines.
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that's the problem, in fact. Dan, fire up
LinNeighborhood just for kicks and see what you see, report back with
that info.

One thing, the usernames do not have to be identical; I have different
usernames on my Linux boxes from those on the Windows machine, and I am
able to access both ways, though I do have to *enter* a username to
browse the shares of course. That's where the mountscript I referred to
comes in, since you can send the user and pass at the command line :-)

Here is an example:

#! /bin/sh

# SMB mount script
# created by LinNeighborhood

smbmount //NODE2/backup /home/joehill/mnt/NODE2/backup/ -o
username=xxxxxx

Note, I do not have a password set on the Windows box, but if you did,
LinNeighborhood would generate a script which included that.

--
HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046