Margot wrote:

I've taken the plunge, ordered the CDs, and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I move from 9.0 to 9.2 so I don't mess it up like I did last time! So, before the parcel arrives from France, I need to know a few things.

On boot, I get the following choices:

linux - I get into this automatically unless I choose one of the others within a few seconds

linux-nonfb - different background colour for the list of things that are starting (and stopping, when I log out again), but otherwise looks exactly the same as 'linux'

floppy - I assume this is an option to boot from a floppy, but never tried it.

old_linux - looks exactly the same as 'linux'

failsafe - lots of scary options, pressed Esc and got into what looks like my usual linux

I've used a failsafe mode in Win when things have gone badly wrong, so I can see why I've got that option, but what are 'linux-nonfb' and 'old_linux'?

Are they copies of 'linux' - some sort of backup? Or are they different gateways into the same entity? Do I need them? If I don't need them, how do I get rid of them?

Margot

linux-nonfb is linux in non framebuffer mode, choose linux-nonfb in your bootloader. the difference between linux and linux-nonfb is that linux-nonfb does not pass a vga= kernel parameter.

old Linux is found when you upgrade from an old-er version , or if you simply use upgrade on an existing version.

these can both be edited out of the lilo menu if you choose to, though they don't hurt anything.

--
Mike McNeese Springdale, Arkansas USA

====================================================== Dual booting 98lite;MDK 9.1 stock kernel Kde 3.1 Registered Linux User #248955 liquid/acqua Theme ======================================================

"If obstacles are what you see in your path...
               Then you have lost sight of your goal! "