Margot wrote:

I've taken the plunge, ordered the CDs, and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I move from 9.0 to 9.2 so I don't mess it up like I did last time! So, before the parcel arrives from France, I need to know a few things.

On boot, I get the following choices:

linux - I get into this automatically unless I choose one of the others within a few seconds

linux-nonfb - different background colour for the list of things that are starting (and stopping, when I log out again), but otherwise looks exactly the same as 'linux'

floppy - I assume this is an option to boot from a floppy, but never tried it.

old_linux - looks exactly the same as 'linux'

failsafe - lots of scary options, pressed Esc and got into what looks like my usual linux

I've used a failsafe mode in Win when things have gone badly wrong, so I can see why I've got that option, but what are 'linux-nonfb' and 'old_linux'?

Are they copies of 'linux' - some sort of backup? Or are they different gateways into the same entity? Do I need them? If I don't need them, how do I get rid of them?

Margot

The real questions you need to ask yourself are,

Do I upgrade, or reinstall,
Do I want to dual linux boot, so your've got your old working linux OS to work with while you configure the newer version.

As for the old lilo scripts they can be upgraded as with an upgraded OS, or reinstalled as with a fresh new install. If upgraded, then when on desktop you can wipe the old linux part of the boot script. If you choose to reinstall , then lilo will be renewed completely.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]