eric wrote:
Hi,

I was recently hospitalized and I didn't use my computer for awhile. During that time I forgot my password for root and I forgot where I wrote it down.

Can I find that password somewhere on my system? Will I have to do a total reinstall?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Eric

Boot from the mandrake CD1

press F1 for more options and then enter rescue at the prompt.

when it comes up, in rescue mode, type: chroot /mnt
(mandrake may have given you the option of doing that from a menu now.. )

when thats done, type:

passwd root

and enter the new password twice.. and reboot..

good stuff

There is no way to get the old password back, its only stored as one way encryption,, so it can't be recoved.

rgds

Franki

--
Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com, Free web developer resources.