On Sunday 26 October 2003 08:33 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:
> I've heard grub is "experimental" .. but RH uses it almost exclusively
> and alot of ppl say its better than LILO.  True? False?
>
> I'd search google for a site detailing the differences & Pros/cons of
> each but I don't kow where to start... I know I know, I'm usually good
> at research but I'm stumped on this.
>
> Can somoene gimme a pointer pls?  even a google URL?
>
> thx
>
> Femme

I've used both.  There are pros and cons on both.

Grub:
        Pros:
                - You can edit the config file and not worry about having to write it
to the
mbr like lilo, it'll take effect on the next boot.
                - You can edit stanzas on the fly on the Grub menu on boot.
        Cons:
                - If you mess up the config file, you might end up with a unbootable
system.
This can be a nightmare for people doing remote support.

Lilo:
        Pros:
                After you edit the lilo config file you can do a lilo -v and know if
you
messed anything up or not.  Well, most of the time.
                Syntax is easier to understand and use for newbies.
        Cons:
                Versions older than 2 years will have the dreaded 1024 cylinder
barrier for
/boot.

I'm sure that there are more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my
head.  I usually setup new users with lilo, it's easier to understand and
modify if necessary.

Jim
--

 11:01pm  up 2 days,  9:17,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
Running Mandrake 9.0 - Linux - because life is too short for reboots...