For the differences:

Lilo uses the BIOS to access the partition where the image is residing. It is file-system independent. This is accomplished at boot sector installation time, by translating the location of the kernel image into a list of disk sectors, which then LILO loads using the BIOS. As a consequence, when you change anything about the kernel (location, configuration...) you need to re-run lilo so that it can update the map.

Grub incorporates a reduced version of a file system, so it uses the file system meta-information to access the kernel image at boot time. That's why you don't need to re-run grub after modifying the kernel: it gets the information it needs directly from the FS.

Check Almesberger's paper "Booting linux: the history and the future" for a very good overview, for example at:
ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/people/almesber/booting/bootinglinux-0.ps.gz

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I've heard grub is "experimental" .. but RH uses it almost exclusively
and alot of ppl say its better than LILO.  True? False?

I'd search google for a site detailing the differences & Pros/cons of
each but I don't kow where to start... I know I know, I'm usually good
at research but I'm stumped on this.

Can somoene gimme a pointer pls? even a google URL?

thx

Femme