Frank wrote:

I'm starting to learn more about grub. And on a Mandrake system that means trouble for someone.

I've used both grub and lilo, and cannot find much to choose between them, but mandrake tends to prefer lilo so I use that now days.

You see, I now have my primary disk exclusively Mandrake and though the first partition is /boot I have yet to see Lilo ala GUI perform reliably yet. The first screen always comes up OK

Called the splash scrre, and offers you choice of OS to boot

but when lilo moves on to the second screen,

Do you mean the login screen, where you choose which person to log in as ?

well, I get to boot successfully usually after the third or fourth try.

Form login, or the whole thing ?

How much memory ?
Sounds to me like maybe xwindows is failing maybe ?
Are you booting ked ?

John

--
John Richard Smith