Brian Parish wrote:

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 08:13, Cliff Skoog wrote:

Brian Parish wrote:

What happens when you do (as root):

ifconfig
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
ifconfig

Does it change address?

The same address is assigned, and the
rest of the info is pretty much the same
too. The only thing is, as during boot,
it takes a long time for eth0 to be assigned an IP. It does on the first
boot too, when it always does connect to the shares, but not quite as long that
the next times when it doesn't connect.
-cliff

Sounds like your DHCP server is not serving too well.  What device is
providing the addresses?

In any case, it's probably easiest just to go to static addresses and
bypass all this.  Particularly if you only have a couple of nodes, it's
not exactly a major issue to maintain a static setup.

If you want to go this way and are unclear about what settings to use,
just post again.

cheers
Brian

Hello again,

Thanks for looking into this.
I've tried setting to static from the drake network tool,
several times, trying to follow info I found. No joy on
pinging Win95 either. Those Win machines have static
IPs set, and can talk to each other, which I don't want
to lose, so I'm reluctant to mess too much on that side,
especially since the **** thing always works  with dchp
from a virgin install.  Maybe I should go back to 9.1.

But I'll be delighted to try static again, so fire away.
appreciatively,
cliff