On Wednesday 05 November 2003 08:38 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:

<snip>
>    What's next, only time will tell. IBM has been a strong
> Linux supporter for several years. To the tune that they put
> about $75Mil into SuSE a year or so ago. Now that's been
> acquired by Novell, also a strong Linux support group, an the
> reason they split from SCO some time back. BUT, SuSE, IBM, and
> Novell also have current an prior relationships and
> agreements. IBM is ante'g up $50 million into these
> Novell/Ximian/SuSE collaboration efforts. SuSE came out
> smellin like a rose. I believe so did Novell.
>
>    So I just view it as circlin the wagons in a more concerted
> effort for OSS/GNU/Linux to take over the Net and enterprise.
> Fsck M$ et al. The money involved is relatively peanuts anyhow
> for Novell, not even pocket change for IBM. For an indicator,
> http://news.netcraft.com/ notice that Apache's (on Un*x) gain,
> mirrors M$ loss. BTW, IBM involvement is significant to me.
> They're about 19 on the world's largest companies. For
> perspective, Microsoft is somewhere in the 170's.  BUT...
>
>   So we're still here, just the 1 or 2% of the desktop users
> runnin Linux. RedHat wants to go enterprise only. No surprise
> they always considered regular users as a nuisance (which they
> are) for a commercial distro. Realistically there's only two
> major community sponsored choices left, Mandrake an Debian. I
> ain't goin anywhere, but there's much less than 1 or 2% left.
> What to do? ....
</snip>

Well said, Tom. Personally I'm not afraid of IBM taking over
Mandrake eventually.

The reason is that IBM here in Denmark displays a very positive
attitude toward linux. They even offer free courses in linux to
developers and sysadmins, provide test-versions of their
WebSphere etc., etc....

And, as long as they respect the GPL, I think they can push linux
onto the desktop in a big way here. IBM is by far the biggest
provider for the public administration in Denmark and cost-savvy
politicians can't ignore Open Source Software any longer -
especially with the almost weekly breakdown of their
Windows-systems due to worms, Trojans and vira.

And I think the HP people look better wearing red hats, whereas
the button-down, blue suits at IBM look better wearing top hat &
tails ;-).

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*