On Tuesday 11 November 2003 06:46 pm, Charlie M. wrote:

<snip>

> > 3. In 9.1 I could just plug in my camera, open kdf and mount
> > the device for transferring the pictures. Not so anymore, the
> > camera doesn't show up at all.
>
> Hot plugging removable media seems to still have a few bumps Kaj.
> I'm not sure but I'll see what I can see tomorrow when I'm
> scheduled to update a system to 9.2. If I find anything of
> interest, like a workaround, I'll let you know.
>
> > And, just to add a tip : If you want to get rid of the default,
> > blue screen during boot in order to enjoy the boot process in
> > all its glory, just edit lilo.conf to vga=791. Remember to run
> > lilo when done.
> >
> > Kaj haulrich.
>
> You can also pick a different theme if you want. Find the
> available themes in /usr/share/bootsplash. Or in /etc/bootsplash.
> You can change the theme by using:
>
> sh switch-themes <nameoftheme>
>
> to pick a new one from the available sets. Available theme names
> are listed by
>
> sh switch-themes -l
>
> to see what's currently being used:
>
> sh switch-themes -c
>
> as super user in the /usr/share/bootsplash/scripts directory. I
> suppose you could add it to your path so you wouldn't have to cd
> to that directory but I don't think it's something many people
> will do very often anyway.
>
> Back to the salt mine! Have fun Kaj
>
> Charlie

</snip>

Thanks, Charlie. After playing around a little, I find that in
Konqueror one can open /mnt/camera and download the pictures from
there. But it is slooow. Another way is to mount the camera
manually and use Midnight Commander. Funny thing is, however, my
fstab changes itself magically with regards to /dev/sda1 (camera)
and seemingly at random ? - I'm a little uneasy having such an
important file out of my control.

As to the boot sequence : being an oldtimer I like to see all the
kernel messages scroll by, marking everything [ok]. But that's me.

Isn't a salt mine a very dry place ? - Remember to bring some beer,
charlie :-)

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*