On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 8:49 pm, Patrick Allen wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My partner and I have now installed the "Download" version of MDK 9.2 on
> two different boxes. (PII 450 ABIT BH6 & Athlon 1800 ASUS A7V333)
>
> Both of the installs went very well as we have come to expect with
> Mandrake.  We noticed significant speed improvements over 9.1 on both
> boxes.
>
> When using the Mandrake Control Center to update the installation,
> things went bad.  I installed the "security updates" first and there
> seemed to be no problems.  However when "bug fixes" were selected,
> certain packages caused some unexpected problems.
>
> Both machines ended up with many items removed from the Kicker menu
> after the updates.  Konsole seemed to missing altogether.  Other
> programs that had been previously installed could not be found anywhere.
>
> Some packages, including Konsole would report a "bad signature" when
> attempting to re-install via the Mandrake Control Center.  But would
> then install fine using urpmi.
>
> Is it possible to download and install "bug fixes" using the urpmi
> command instead of the Mandrake Control Center?
>

> PA

In 9.2 many of the KDE applications have been split into separate packages.
Browse with rpmdrake to find the components you need
e.g. kdebase-konsole
To get your menus back if you lose them:-

Ctl+Alt+F1 to get a text console. log in as root then
update-menus -v
Ctl+Alt+F7 to go back to X. Your menus will now be normal.

To update from the command line (assuming your update source is called
'updates')

urpmi.update updates && urpmi --auto-select --update

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net