On Thursday 13 Nov 2003 1:43 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> In case anyone is using SpamAssassin and wants to increase their use of the
> available DNS Blacklists, I have a configuration file that I can make
> available that includes connections to some of the blacklists that I find
> to be more valuable.  These include SPEWS, SORBS, Easynet, Blackholes.us,
> Spamcop and some others.  Some of these blacklists were removed from
> current version of SpamAssassin because the original locations, like
> OSIRUSOFT went offline due to DDOS attacks by spammers.  I have found some
> new locations for those so that I can continue to benefit from the
> blacklists that were so effective that spammers actually hired virus
> writers to shut them down.
>
> You can adjust the scores to your desired level depending on how much you
> trust the blacklist in question.  Thus, a lower score will reduce the
> importance of that particular list, a higher score will increase its
> relevance. You just edit the .cf file and then copy it into
> /etc/mail/spamassassin, restart SA and watch it start to work.
>
> I have found this blackhole list especially useful in targeting direct to
> MX spam from compromised zombie windows machines on DSL and Cable networks.
>  If anyone would like a copy, let me know.  If you are not running
> SpamAssassin, I am afraid that this configuration file will do you no good.
>
> Using this .cf along with a couple of edits to the local.cf file that place
> a higher score on html only mail among other body checks, I have gotten
> only one false negative out of some 4000 spam messages over the last two
> weeks and no false positives at all.  (I do have a whitelist of commercial
> merchants that I actually expect to send me html mail).

Thanks for that list Bryan I shall certainly try them out, although at present
SpamAssassin-2.60 is performing really well already on my 9.2 system
(spamassassin-2.60 is available on Cooker. Yes I know I am always posting
telling people *not* to use Cooker packages, but this one does not introduce
any dependencies ;-) I did however have to rebuild the Bayes database before
Bayes tests would work)

Later:-
I tried out your rules and get these errors when I run spamd -D
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
RCVD_IN_EASY
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
RCVD_IN_SORBS
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_SOCKS
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_MISC
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_SMTP
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_SPAM
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_WEB
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_ZOMBIE
debug: Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping: tflags
X_SORBS_NOMAIL

Is that syntax correct? I notice the line
tflags X_SORBS_OPEN_HTTP        net
*does* parse correctly.

By the way:-
Have you tried activating the dcc test?
For me spamd hogs 100%CPU and locks up if I enable dcc  (Yes dcc is installed)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net