Derek Jennings wrote:
On Friday 14 Nov 2003 7:47 pm, Margot wrote:

I was using urpmi the other night and received a message that I should
update my database.

I thought the command I used to use for this on 9.0 was 'updatedb', but
I tried all 3 ways (as user, su and root) and got the response 'command
not found'.

Tried 'man db' and 'man urpmi', and looked on the TWiki, but couldn't
find a command for updating the database. Help!

Margot

'updatedb' is the command to update the slocate database for fast file searches.

You want 'urpmi.update -a' to update the urpmi databases of all online sources.

derek

Thanks Derek - I have now run 'urpmi.update -a' and accomplished what I set out to do.

Still puzzled though - even though 'updatedb' was the wrong command for what I wanted to do, as it is a valid command, why didn't it run? Even though it would not have done what I wanted, surely it should have done *something*?

Margot