On Saturday 15 November 2003 03:10 am, Richard Babcock wrote:
> Does anyone have info on the status of dvdrw support for ML? I see only
> one unit on the hardware compatibility list and I'm sure there are
> dozens if not hundreds of units being produced now. I have a Philips
> dvdrw228 and can 'see' cd's and dvd's with the unit but as far as doing
> anything work or entertainment related the drive is virtually
> worthless.
> I plan to put it in one of my Win boxes so I can actually use it but it
> isn't my first choice.

DVD+RW drives are almost uniformly supported with a variety of application
front-ends using the dvd+rw tools including growisofs that can be downloaded
in several places on the net including sourceforge.

DVD-RW is supported using the cdrecord dvdhack tool that is also widely
supported.  In most cases, hardware types are not an issue as these are
widely publicized industry standard formats so you shouldn't have problems.
If you want to do specific things, like building DVD-Video formats, you may
need to look around to find specific tools to help you do that but writing
data is easily accomplished, regardless of hardware.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer