On Sunday 16 Nov 2003 10:27 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> Well, I sort of foresee this as being much less of a problem in the
> coming months, or moreso depending on how you look at it.  The
> newest DVD burner drives that are out support almost all formats of
> media, including DVD+R/+RW/-R/-RW which covers the spectrum.  The
> biggest issue will be in explaining that depending on what media
> you want to burn, you need a different toolset, including different
> tools for the exact same hardware device but dependent on what
> media is in the burner.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not the best person to do a detailed CLI howto
> for dvd burning, I can do it but it is still a lot of trial and
> error to get it right for me and I prefer the GUI front-ends.
>
> There are a couple of new GUI's that take the guesswork out of it
> and support both different tools and formats and can even
> autodetect the media in the drive and use the right tool for that
> media.  So, either newbies will go for the GUI (as I would expect)
> and it will become fairly seamless for them, or they will stick
> with the CLI, in which case, making the right choices and
> explaining why becomes a major headache.
>
> I will quickly plug one of the GUI's again, it is NOT free but is
> very reasonable and has a lot of nice features.  WebCDWriter is a
> web based GUI for CD and DVD burning that now features full support
> for just about every kind of media and format that you would want
> to burn.  You simply configure it for the device that you have and
> what it supports, Tell it what kind of disk you want to burn and it
> opens the drive and prompts you to insert the media and off you go.
>  If you want the CD burning version, it is free and the DVD version
> costs about 25 euros, last I checked.
>
> http://joerghaeger.de/webCDwriter/

I think we need both approaches - and it doesn't matter (to me, any
way) that you are suggesting a suitable package that isn't completely
free.  I wonder if someone would volunteer to do some cli stuff -
even if they're not ready yet, while you put the gui stuff on the
same page (or linked page)

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302