On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 10:34 am, Melissa Reese wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to give the installation a go by myself, figuring that if
> I messed it up, I could just abort and wait until my friend could
> be here to hold my hand.  Here's the story so far (I'm pretty
> sleepy, so I hope I get this right)...
>
> I have two separate hard drives on this machine. The first drive
> (C:\) is where I have Windows installed (80 GB drive). The second
> drive (D:\) is where I want to install Mandrake (20 GB drive). The
> second drive is from my old computer, and I no longer need the data
> that is on it. Earlier today, I ran a check on the disk, and
> defragmented it.
>
> So...
>
> I read through much of the starter guide, but it didn't seem to
> mention the idea of installing on one of two hard drives. It seemed
> to assume that there would only be one hard drive to deal with on
> the machine. I decided to start up the installation to see if it
> would detect both drives, and give me a choice. I got to the
> "partitioning" section, and decided to abort the installation,
> because something worried me. I hope you can help...
>
> I was told by Dale Huckeby, in this message:
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> ...that the installation program, near the beginning, should detect
> both drives, so I could then choose the one to install onto.
> However, when I got to the partitioning section (and still no
> choice of drives yet), I was faced with three options under the
> "DrakX partitioning wizard found the following solutions" section:
>
> [] Erase entire disk
> [] Use the free space on the Windows partition
> [] Custom disk partitioning
>
> I was afraid to choose any of these and hit <next> without knowing
> *which* hard drive I'm dealing with. I can't afford to erase the
> drive that Windows is currently occupying, and I don't want to
> install Mandrake onto that drive anyway. At this point, I shut down
> the computer (only way I could find to abort the installation), and
> as it was re-booting, I removed the CD so that it would just boot
> into Windows.
>
> Question(s):
>
> 1) Did I just not yet get to the bit about choosing which hard
> drive to install onto? In the starter guide, the *next* screen
> that's supposed to show up *looks like* where I choose the hard
> drive ("choose the partitions to be formatted"), but it doesn't
> mention "hard drive"...only "partitions"...so I'm a little confused
> here.
>
> 2) If so, which of the three choices mentioned above should I
> select? (if the next screen mentioned above *is* where I choose the
> hard drive, I suppose I should choose "Erase entire disk", right?)
>
> Or...
>
> 3) Are the three choices mentioned above an indication that only
> one hard drive was detected? (and I don't know which one, but I'm
> assuming it's the one with Windows on it, since it's offering to
> [...]

Melissa - I haven't installed 9.2 yet, but I would imagine it's the
same as every other Mdk install, so -

Select 'Custom disk partitioning'

There you should see your two disks.  Choose the one you want for
install, and make a partition for /home (so that if you get any data
on it you will be able to re-install or upgrade without losing your
data).  I assume that since it is a whole disk you probably have
plenty of room?  Allocate 512MB to swap and create one bit ext3
partition for the rest.  Mandrake will take care of everything else.

Until you have completed this you have not written the partition table
to disk and you will be able to back out - but I don't think you will
feel the need.

My advice is to keep the install fairly simple, just selecting the
groups of applications that you are certain you need quickly.  It's
easy to add more as you are ready for them.

HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302