Melissa Reese wrote:

As long as I can be very sure that I'm only messing with my 20 GB
drive, I'll be happy to stumble through some more trial and error
myself, because if all I mess up is the fresh drive with no essential
data on it yet, I can always just start over. However, there's another
thing I'll have to decide with regards to how worried I should be
about performing the installation without expert supervision...

Exactly, so just go ahead and install on your hdb, the 20g drive.

The starter guide also suggests possibly changing a setting or two in
the BIOS in order to make the installation smoother for MDK.

Such as ?

Since the
BIOS is, as far as I understand it (which may not be very far), a
system wide setting (affecting both hard drives, no?),

Bios, means Built In Operating System , and the most basic computer there is,
On the whole I don't recommend you messing in there till you know something of what you are doing.That is not to say you shouldn't visit it and become familiar with the facilities that lay in bios. It's just that you can alter things in bios that will have a profound affect on opperating efficiency and until you know something more about it , best leave things alone, at least ask first. Don't be affraid of it but don't go around changing things just for the heck of it.

I want to be
especially careful messing about in there. At this point, it is this
BIOS thing as much as anything else that concerns me.

So what is it you want to do in there ?

John

--
John Richard Smith