On Saturday 22 November 2003 13:52, Marc wrote:
> A couple of days ago I helped a friend install 9.1 on a computer
> that he had just built. Soyo dragon mobo 80 geg hdd 512 MB of DDR
> Several applications crashed constantly, Galeon, open office
> seemed to both be constant sources of trouble there seemed to be
> a number of other things that were just not quite right. That was
> when we started to think that something had just gone wrong in
> the installation. Good thing I gad just finished downloading 9.2
> and the third CD was just coming off the burner.
>   We decided to give 9.2 a try. Before burning I had run md5sums
> to check  the download it looked OK. We reformatted the whole
> hard drive and the installation went smooth, everything seemed to
> be working fine.
>    After a couple days things started to go wrong. Newly
> installed packages did not show up on the K menu. Some file
> associations seemed to just get lost. Mozilla and Galeon started
> to crash all the time and other applications started to disappear
> off the k menu. We ran memtest and the memory appears to be OK.
> This is all starting to seem like a hardware problem but I cant
> quite put my finger on what it might be.
>   Anyone here have any ideas?

Marc, you have the infamous "missing icons" problem. This is a bug
in 9.2. Drove me crazy until Derek gave me the key. I'll take the
liberty of quoting Derek :

"To get your menus back if you lose them:-

Ctl+Alt+F1 to get a text console. log in as root then
update-menus -v
Ctl+Alt+F7 to go back to X. Your menus will now be normal."

Furthermore, if you installed fluxbox, there another bug :

"When you run 'update-menus -v' do you see some text about a syntax
error in a line about fluxbox? If so edit /etc/menu/menudrakeentry
find the line causing the problem. I think it is this one

?package(menu): needs="fluxbox" icon="applications_section.png"
section="Fluxbox/Styles/" title="" charset="utf8"

and insert some text (any text) between the quotes after 'title='
Then run update-menus again"

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.