Saturday 22 November 2003 4:01 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Having burnt iso to CD I wish to check the result by remaking an iso
> file of the CD and running md5sum against on that iso file, but, I seem
> to have a problem with the mkisofs part of it,

You can check whether the ISO "burnt true" by just running

md5sum -c /mnt/cdrom

or a few other methods I'll list below.

> mount /mnt/cdrom

You use automount don't you? Or supermount? Try without this step, mounting a
CD twice will generally result in an error of some sort.

> cd /root/tmp
> ls
> mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/*
> mkisofs 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu)
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/af
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/ar

<snip>

> I don't know what  autorun.exe  is doing here , but is there some way I
> can tell mkisofs to ignore it and proceed.

I still think it was because the disk was being mounted twice John but I've
been wrong before.

> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> John

Methods to check md5sums, stolen from various sources over the last few years:

The "hard way:"

perl -e 'use lib qw(/usr/lib/libDrakX); use detect_devices; use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper([ &detect_devices::cdroms() ]), "\n";'

The "easy way" for ISOs on hard drive or burned to CD:

mkcd --checkdisc <ISO mount point> <md5 file>

An even easier way:

mkcd --checkmd5 <iso file>

This works both with an iso file downloaded on your filesystem
(mkcd --checkmd5 /path/to/iso/Mandrake.iso) and on a burnt CD (mkcd --checkmd5
/dev/thedevice).

and the ever popular

md5sum -c /pathtodevice/pathtoimage

HTH
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
10:12:53 up 2 days, 52 min, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.09, 0.09
Progress means replacing a theory that is wrong with one more subtly wrong.