Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Saturday 22 November 2003 11:01 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Having burnt iso to CD I wish to check the result by remaking
an iso file of the CD and running md5sum against on that iso
file, but, I seem to have a problem with the mkisofs part of
it,

Man, I can hardly tell what your tryin to accomplish ;) Seems your tryin to make an image of an image ;)

No,  burnt iso to cd create bootable cd's. It's not a store iso file.
I'm trying to check the bootable cd by remaking the iso
and comparing it with the mandrake supplied md5sums.

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /root/tmp
ls
mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/*
mkisofs 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu)
Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc
Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install
Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/af
Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/ar

<big snip>

Scanning
/mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi
/URPM Scanning /mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/Image
Scanning /mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/Mkcd
Using READM000.;1 for  /README (README)
Using READM001.;1 for  /README (README)
Using RAWWR000.EXE;1 for  /rawwritewin.exe (rawwrite.exe)
Using AUTOR000.EXE;1 for  /autorun.exe (autorun.exe)
mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/dosutils/autorun.exe' and
'/mnt/cdrom/autorun.exe' have the same Rock Ridge name
'autorun.exe'. mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/images/README' and
'/mnt/cdrom/dosutils/README' have the same Rock Ridge name
'README'. mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/misc/README' and
'/mnt/cdrom/images/README' have the same Rock Ridge name
'README'.
mkisofs: Unable to sort directory

I don't know what  autorun.exe  is doing here , but is there
some way I can tell mkisofs to ignore it and proceed.

Any suggestions welcome.

John

IIRC, autorun.exe is for starting the install from Windoze. Leave it in otherwise a new hdlist for the iso will be needed (genhdlist)

OK, but I've never noticed it before, nor any wish to, god forbid I should install linux in windows.

But I found I can overcome the problem with,

mkisofs -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/*

but that cuts our -r recursive , and -j something to do with joliet file systems, and the question is will the resulting md5sum be the same as that provided by mandrake on their web site, because , I'm thinking that maybe it makes a difference to the end result ?

So I guess I'm really asking is how would mandrake of create their md5sums in the first place , what exact command line would they employ, and does it make a difference which flags are used ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]