On Saturday 22 November 2003 11:01 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Having burnt iso to CD I wish to check the result by remaking
> an iso file of the CD and running md5sum against on that iso
> file, but, I seem to have a problem with the mkisofs part of
> it,

      Man, I can hardly tell what your tryin to accomplish ;)
Seems your tryin to make an image of an image ;)

   If you burned the iso to disk with Disk at Once, eg,
  cdrecord -v -eject speed=12 dev=0,0,0 -dao
....then the md5sum should still check when you run
   'md5sum /dev/scd0'   (assuming your burner is scd0)

    Use your burner, not the cdrom (if you have one) to check
md5sum. It's a more reliable reader. Then you can check the CDrom
(again assuming you have a separate one), by putting the CD in
and runnin     'dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=name_of.iso'
That'll recreate the iso on your HDD in the dir you're in. Then
run  'md5sum name_of.iso'  and you should still get the correct
md5sum.  You can use anything you want for 'name_of'. If that
md5sum fails, then it's your CDrom that's suspect.

> mount /mnt/cdrom
> cd /root/tmp
> ls
> mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/*
> mkisofs 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu)
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/af
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/doc/install/ar
>
> <big snip>
>
> Scanning
> /mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi
>/URPM Scanning /mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/Image
> Scanning /mnt/cdrom/misc/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/Mkcd
> Using READM000.;1 for  /README (README)
> Using READM001.;1 for  /README (README)
> Using RAWWR000.EXE;1 for  /rawwritewin.exe (rawwrite.exe)
> Using AUTOR000.EXE;1 for  /autorun.exe (autorun.exe)
> mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/dosutils/autorun.exe' and
> '/mnt/cdrom/autorun.exe' have the same Rock Ridge name
> 'autorun.exe'. mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/images/README' and
> '/mnt/cdrom/dosutils/README' have the same Rock Ridge name
> 'README'. mkisofs: Error: '/mnt/cdrom/misc/README' and
> '/mnt/cdrom/images/README' have the same Rock Ridge name
> 'README'.
> mkisofs: Unable to sort directory
>
> I don't know what  autorun.exe  is doing here , but is there
> some way I can tell mkisofs to ignore it and proceed.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> John

   IIRC, autorun.exe is for starting the install from Windoze.
Leave it in otherwise a new hdlist for the iso will be needed
(genhdlist).
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas