Greg Meyer wrote:

On Monday 17 November 2003 07:26 am, Anarky wrote:

Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Sunday 16 November 2003 12:07 pm, Anarky wrote:

any idea if the downloadable isos can still break cdroms or
if they have a fixed version?

Well first of all it's the LG drives, not Mandrake that needs
fixin. Those with LG (or rebadged drives which are actually LG's)
should up date their firmware ... even if they don't install Mdk
9.2, even if they're confirmed Windoze users. The drives should
not be used as is.

To answer your question tho, The iso's on the mirrors are the
same ones released to club members, the same ones that are sold.
They can render a buggy LG CDrom as useless. The fix is to fix
the LG's. http://us.lgservice.com/ click on 'Device Drivers',
then 'Cdrom'.

I saw the fix and everything ... but still I don't believe it's a nice
thing to leave software that does that like that .. might make people
(me too) think that mandrake stuff isn't all that great ... which is not
a nice thing :)

So even though you intellectually know that it is not Mandrake'a fault, you are still blaming them? It's not a nice thing for hardware manufacturers to make things that break when standards compliant software tries to access them.

okay ... this finally sounds like a good explanation ... one that I
imagined might be the truth: so mandrake coded acording to some aprooved
standard and LG didn't suport it? Was it something not-often used, or
how come it worked in windows?