----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2003 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Fw: Mplayer sound out of sync

> On Friday 21 November 2003 06:05 pm, Andrew  Mann wrote:
> > I have just ripped a dvd using mplayer , which I have done many
> > times before ok.
> >
> > but this time the picture is not in sync with the sound
> >
> > and i had a different message appear in the output script as
> > below
> >
> > Mencoder dev-CVS--3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
>
>    What CL syntax are you usin with mencoder to do this? I'm
> mostly just curious as I only recently got a DVD/CDrom myself.
> I've had a lot of luck just copying all the files in the VIDEO_TS
> directory on the DVD to a HDD dir. Then play the movie with
>   'mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/movie/name_of_movie'
>
>    Or you can 'dd if=/dev/hdc of=name_of_movie'   that'll make a
> copy of the DVD in the dir you run the command from. You'll just
> get an extra 500mb's of useless M$ setup BS tho.  Out of 9 DVD's
> I have, only two refuse to be copied (an they're both older
> movies?). Well, I can copy 'em, but some of the .vob files come
> out -0- byte. No matter how I copy 'em. I've even tried playin
> the movie to a file, eg,
> 'mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/hdc > /home/tom/name_of_movie'
> The same .vob's come up -0- byte. Evidently there's some copy
> protection libdvdcss isn't gettin around (?).
>
>      I've done alot of reencoding .avi, .mpg, .wmv files with
> mencoder and it often results in a sound not in sync situation. I
> just deal with it by using the + and - keys to sync sound during
> playback. Which is why I like mplayer so much, the ability to
> adjust contrast, brightness, tint, color level, sync, and sound
> volume on the fly during playback.  I'm currently usin,
> mplayer-1.0-0.pre2.4plf
> mencoder-1.0-0.pre2.4plf
> libdvdread3-0.9.4-2mdk
> libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf
> plus all the other PLF codecs
> --
>       Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas

The command I use is

mencoder dvd://$DVDTRACK1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=$BITRATE -oac mp3lame -forceidx -lameopts
br=96:cbr -alang en -o $FILENAME1.avi
The reason for the $DVDTRACK1 etc is because i use a bash script to run it,
as follows

echo " D I V X RIPPING TOOL"

echo ; echo

echo " Written by Spike (credits also to ralph)"

echo ; echo

echo " 1 pass rip"

echo " Enter the details for the DVD track number"

echo ; echo

echo -n "Enter the DVD track number: "; read DVDTRACK1

echo ; echo

echo -n "Enter a filename (no .avi): " ; read FILENAME1

echo ; echo

echo ; echo

echo " Enter the bitrate for the track";

echo ; echo

echo -n "Enter the bitrate for the track: "; read BITRATE

echo ; echo

#1 RIP OPTION

mencoder dvd://$DVDTRACK1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=$BITRATE -oac mp3lame -forceidx -lameopts
br=96:cbr -alang en -o $FILENAME1.avi

Thanks for the tip about +/- I didn't know you could do that.

One other question I would kie to know the answer to is , if I rip a dvd
that is out of sync

is it mplayer that gets out of sync or is the actual recording out of sync

I would like to know as I am just about to buy a divx player to connect to
the tv , and wondered what it would make of a divx that is out of sync ??

----