Lee Wiggers wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:44:05 +0000
Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Friday 28 Nov 2003 10:30 pm, Langsley T Russell wrote:

Hi.

I'm running 9.2 and when I try to run the update from the
control center it tells me that I have at least one selected
media but that they are all disabled. When I go to the Software
Media Manager as directed to enable the media. They are all
marked enabled. I've tried unchecking them one at a time then
rechecking them and trying again but I still get the message,
that they are all disabled. I've even done a couple of reboots
over a couple of days but I still get the same "all
disabled"message.  What can I do to correct this and get my
installation of ML-9.2 updated with the latest patches??
TIA

LTR  }}:{(
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you actually have an 'update' media defined?

Go here http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and follow the
instructions to add an 'update' media source. While you are there
add  a source for 'plf' and 'contrib' as well and you will be able
to install 100's of cool extra applications online.

Note: Do *not* do what it says about " urpmi.removemedia -a" or
else you will lose your CD sources.

Note: The web page will give you a command to copy and paste into
a terminal window. The window has to be a 'root' window. Type 'su'
in a regular terminal window to become root.
Copy/paste in Linux is mouse highlight/wheel click

Note: If you do not want to use the command line install the
urpmi.update package from your CDs using the Mandrake Software
manager. Then run urpmi.update and a nice little GUI will guide
you through adding sources.

HTH

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net

Curious what the advantage of keeping the CD sources might be?

Lee

If you have broadband, probably no advantage at all...but if you're on a slow dialup, and particularly if you're paying by the minute for your connection, it is much faster (and cheaper!) to add packages from the CD sources. That way, you only spend precious internet time downloading packages that aren't on the CDs.

Margot