Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Friday 28 November 2003 23:53, Derek Jennings wrote:

<snip>

The advantage is that I do not have to explain how to put the CD
sources back again ;-)

</snip>

Which brings up a rather naive question :

Let's say a newbie leaves his original CD sources "as is" and then decides to add some more, following your excellent advice, Derek.
Then, being on the "easy urpmi"- site, he/she -accidentally defines "main" once again, this time from some mirror on the net. Now, our newbie has two sources for "main".

What happens ? - Will urpmi get confused ? - Or just spit out a message like : "you idiot, why bother me with two identical sources, waisting my time ? - Do you want to shuffle CD's or watch the blinkenlights on your modem ?"

Kaj Haulrich.

See attached snapshot for how I've got my urpmi sources listed - I have the 2 official CDs from Mandrake, some online sources, and the 3 CDs from Linux Format mag. Only the online source for 'main' is labelled as 'main', the CD sources have different labels. So far, urpmi seems to have worked intelligently and checked the CD sources first, only going to the online sources if I'm trying to get a package that isn't on any of the CDs.

Margot

<<inline: snapshot4.png>>