On Monday 01 December 2003 01:25 pm, C. Tresenriter wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:07:23 -0500
>
> BP wrote:
> |Because one of the packages that you are trying to install was built
> |with an NVIDIA kernel, even though you don't have an NVIDIA card.  You
> |need to check your sources to see where you are pulling files from, a
> |lot of the Texstar packages require NVIDIA kernel, IIRC.
>
> Texstar *is* one of my sources. So one of those is a package I *should*
> install? How do I decide which one - does it matter, or since texstar is
> one of my sources, should I choose his package? (2.4.21.0.25.2tex)
> My kernel is 2.4.21-0.13mdk - should the package number match the kernel
> version? I'm not using either enterprise or smp kernels - the other two
> choices.

Well, the choice is up to you but the standard Mandrake 9.1 kernel is up to
2.4.21-0.25mdk, IIRC so that would match with that package.  If you have not
upgraded to this version yet, you may be missing some security updates that
have been added to the kernel since 9.1 was rolled out.

The NVIDIA kernel is just the standard Mandrake kernel with Nvidia drivers
added to it, so you should be able to run that version without any problems,
you will not load the Nvidia module unless your modules.conf file tells the
computer to load it and it won't if you have not installed the Nvidia
drivers.

If you don't install that version, you will get several errors when trying to
install some of Texstar's RPM's which means that you need to either force
them or install that version of the kernel.

> Other than that I have main,contrib, plf and updates along with the
> CDs and a local directory for downloaded RPMs

I would exercise some caution about doing a blanket update with all of those
sources selected, especially with plf, Textar and contrib.  There are
probably a lot of packages that will conflict with one another, I am pretty
sure that I have encountered conflicts between plf and some Texstar packages
before as far as dependencies go.  I would be especially wary of contrib
since you can't be sure how they were compiled or what version or dependents
they have.

You may want to pick a smaller set of sources before doing the update or do it
manually so that you can deal with issues as they arise.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer