On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:01, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> Better not if your machine has a public static IP address. ICMP type 8
> (ping) can be used to discover the IP address through ping 'storms', and
> then use it for attacks to higher level protocols. Also there is the
> ping of death attack that can crash your machine - although maybe newer
> TCP/IP implementations are immune.

Thanks Raffaele.  Just checked the fwlog this morning after changing
shorewall to allow pings last night and only being connected to the
internet for one hour - and holy shite! MANY more hits than usual on ports
80 and 17300.  Strange that so many hits on port 17300 all from different
source IPs when I don't even know what that port is used for??? Its not
listed in /etc/services and I haven't made any rules for that port myself.

> I'm sure there is a way to request IPtables not to log the
> rejected/dropped ping packets, but I wouldn't be able to tell you OTOH.
> Maybe somebody else already knows.

I'll try Derek's suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks again for your input.  I've been wondering about this for ages.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today