On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 04:34, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 Dec 2003 11:43 am, Sharrea Day wrote:
> > Can someone please tell me if accepting all ICMP type 8 packets from
> > all (including internet) poses much of a security threat.  I previously
> > only allowed these to/from my local network but I was getting a bit
> > peeved at the number of entries in the logs/email which amount to
> > hundreds of lines every day.
>
> If your machine responds to a ping then it may attract the attention of
> someone who will make a determined attempt to break in.
> On the other hand there are gazillions of computers on the net that do
> respond to ping, so why should yours be any more likely to be attacked.

That's what I thought so I changed the shorewall rules to allow all pings
last night.  After being only connected to the internet for one hour, there
were MANY more hits than usual.

> As regards being annoyed by the log entries you could try putting an
> entry in /etc/shorewall/rules like :-
>
> DROP    net   fw   icmp    8
>
> That should drop pings silently, and will override the default action in
> shorewall/policy which is to drop and log.

Just added that rule, stopped, cleared and started shorewall.  Will see what
my logs look like in an hour or two.  I never thought to add the rule
(duh!) because shorewall was already blocking it with the default net2all
policy.

> I have not tested the above because I have just started using ulogd to
> put all my firewall hits into an SQL database (instead of syslog) which
> can then be interrogated by a neat application called Webfwlog.
> If you want to see what it looks like go here
> http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/webfwlog-0.81/webfwlog/webfwlog.php

Looks great! Far more options than my fwlogwatch web report.  And shorter
"System Check" email messages ;)

> Before anyone asks how to do it. I am preparing a write up.  Its a bit
> complicated.

Eagerly awaiting your instructions.  I'm definitely keen to try it.

Thanks Derek for your advice.  I have a hunch that the shorewall rule above
will do the trick.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today