Call me lazy, but I just use the KDE archiver tool. Navigate to the file you
wish to extract, Rt-Click the file, select Archiver, then in Archiver,
File/Extract to ... Then I select the location where I want to decompress the
archive, and "OK". I don't learn as much about using tar, or gzip, but I get
the job done.

Ernie