On Saturday 06 Dec 2003 5:10 pm, The Other wrote:
> 12/06/03
>
> What program can I use to go to an atomic clock website and have my
> computer clock set?  Also, would I have to be logged in as 'root' to
> change the computer's clock?
>
> In Windows I used the TARDIS program to modem to a site and have the
> computer's clock set.  Suggestions for a comparable program in
> Linux?
>
> Thanks All,
> The Other

Install the ntp RPM and then edit /etc/ntp.conf to point to one or more time
servers. For example :-

server ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk    # Manchester University
server salmon.maths.tcd.ie # Trinity College Dublin

Also edit /etc/ntp/step-tickers  to contain your time servers  as in :-
ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk
salmon.maths.tcd.ie

Putting servers in step-tickers will sync your computer when it boots. Putting
the server names in ntp.conf will cause a daemon to run to keep the clock
continuously in sync. If you are not concerned about absolute accuracy you do
not need the entries in ntp.conf.

You can get a list of ntp servers from here :-

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

Warning - There is a wizard in Mandrake Control Centre to set up an ntp server
(if you install drakwizard rpm), but it has  a bug in it in 9.2 and will fsck
up your timezone. (The developers are aware)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net