On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 11:48 pm, The Other wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:22:18 +0000
>
> Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 Dec 2003 5:26 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > > Warning - There is a wizard in Mandrake Control Centre to set up
> > > an ntp server (if you install drakwizard rpm), but it has  a bug
> > > in it in 9.2 and will fsck up your timezone. (The developers are
> > > aware)
> >
> > I presume that Webmin is still available in 9.2?  You can easily
> > set it up there.  And see also http://www.ntp.org/ - Network Time
> > Protocol page, including lists of time servers
>
> I'm still working in 9.1.
>
> I used the wizard in Mandrake Control Centre to set up the ntpd
> daemon.
>
> I also installed the ntp rpm.   I could run the ntpdate command with
> a local timeserver specified and the time would update.
>
> When I installed the ntpd daemon, I could no longer run the ntpdate
> command, because the daemon was running.
>
> So at this point I'm assuming that while I'm connected to the
> Internet with the modem, the ntpd daemon is checking the time.
>
> But.....
> I don't have man or info pages installed for ntp or the ntpd daemon.
>  It would be nice to see if I can change the default settings on how
> often it checks for the time.  Any ideas where the documentation may
> be found?
>
> Thanks,
> The Other
Info on NTP here
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html

while the ntp daemon is running ntpdate will not work
To reassure yourself it is working
/usr/sbin/ntptime  will report the time from the daemon.
/usr/sbin/ntptrace  will report the route to the ntp server.

Note if your clock is more than 1 hour out from the atomic clock ntp will
assume it is 'insane' and will not change the time.
Also the daemon only changes the time gradually, and will not even start
working until 15 mins after it is started. So do not start the daemon and
immediately expect the time to change. That is what the 'step-ticker' is for.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net